Saturday, March 28, 2020

seclusion


Three weeks in 21st century America is an immensity of time

We went from festering blind consumerism, to quiet personal introspection

Just like that


Stadiums and churches and shopping malls are empty

and parks are at capacity

I haven't posted because prior to this I've been busy, buying from and selling to the faceless hoards, laboring away so someone else can turn a profit


all the while silently doing my own bidding, in my spare time, for my own need


Here it is, the fruit of my labor


I know I tease as you read


but this is what it is for me


snapshots


moments of clarity and reality


triumphs


and setbacks


But then the last three weeks I've had the chance to really work


and to spend time with those two people I cherish


to create


I have never put so many parts into a finished product


so many surfaces


so much joinery


so many decisions


revisions


complications


it's been a truly enlightening ride


a chance to grow as an artist


parent


and husband


and here it is, no glamour shots
no lovely blank backdrops and proper lighting, or new comforter (I know it clashes horribly but shopping right now is a bit complicated)


but it ain't done yet


there's a whole inner structure to create


a skeletal framework, a dresser without sides


six drawers and their lattice of runners and supports


stay tuned, I'm designing as I go


disclaimer: the work you see is from the last five months, the writing refers to the time frame mentioned, sorry for the incongruity but I couldn't stop the story


No comments:

Post a Comment