Friday, April 25, 2014

growth



an ever present tide 


continuum


events and occurrences
plans and projects
moments minutes months millennia


I’ve been at this table for what, four years?


for that entire stretch the plans have changed


each moment affects the outcome
each memory engrained
each detail on purpose
each piece becomes the culmination of its personal history
and the context of the greater that surrounds it


I feel the shapes reflect my self


I make furniture that describes my inner being
and those moments in my life that define


I pour myself into my design
each surface a reflection of the flow of time



2 comments:

  1. Many of us share the sense of oneness with the things we create but it isn't always obvious to the casual observer. It's nice to know we aren't alone.

    What I also find endearing is the chest of drawers I've been working on (for nearly fours years mind you) was recently glued up and pegged with offset pegs made from dowels I created myself.

    Kindred spirits indeed.

    Congrats on getting the table glued up - it looks awesome...but lonely without a top (j/k).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shawn,
      It is amazing the connection you earn with a piece, like an old friend, thankfully no one has purchased one of my pieces, so I have yet to part with any of them:)
      I may have to ask you to stop by, the top is too heavy to manage alone, and other than upside down, I've yet to see the two together...

      Delete