Wednesday, March 31, 2010

update


I've had a good weekend, a few afternoons after work, and a couple odd hours otherwise, after giving this thing a good lube, or two, the action is so smooth it's almost a letdown, I really thought I'd get a workout.


Once it all settled in, it's really no effort at all, just gotta keep the rhythm.



The first piece off the lathe is actually two; "matching" handles for my BIG files.



Figured I'd make a subtle change to each to mark the difference in the tools themselves.



The hard maple cut-offs from the tabletop seemed to be as good a challenge as I could muster, but the results are out of this world! I really can't believe a meat-powered machine could do work like this, total control over speed and depth of cut.


I've been transitioning over for a couple years to pure hand-work, and I love it. Every time I perform the same task without power, noise, and dust, I'm continually amazed at the speed, accuracy and fulfillment I can achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment