Sunday, February 19, 2012

uncertainty


The single most frightening aspect of wood working for me is the commencement
at some point you have to jump


those towering heights of design lend an air of vertigo to the onset of any piece


everything seems so wrong at this stage


too small
dainty


it felt so much bigger in cyber world
my cardboard pattern looks fine in-situ
still, the table will be perfect


but in the close quarters of the shop it's just something I'm tripping over


one leg is wrenched free from the board and all I can see is the seemingly miniscule chunk in which the joinery will appear
the taper becomes a spindle


I had these grandiose ideas of creating an entirely new "impossible" joint, and so it was...
impossible,


guess I'll settle for a bridle joint housed in opposing through lap joints, maybe a pin or two to shore it up

disappointing though it is, the complexity of the leg joinery will still be visible to the curious

No comments:

Post a Comment